Former House Of Cards star Kevin Spacey ordered to pay $31m to studio
By SEAMLESS DAILY
23 November 2021
Kevin Spacey has been ordered to pay nearly $ 31m ( £23m ) to House of Cards producers MRC after violating their sexual harassment policy.
This resulted in the loss of tens of millions of dollars, the document said.
Spacey had been playing the role of Frank Underwood before several sexual assault allegations were made against him, although he denies any wrongdoing.
MRC filed the lawsuit in January 2019, seeking to recover the costs and arguing that Mr Spacey's behaviour violated the studio's sexual harassment policy.
Lawyers on both sides heard from more than 20 people in an eight-day confidential arbitration hearing in February 2020, Variety reports.
The arbitrator issued a 46-page ruling in July 2020, which remains confidential but found in favour of the production company.
According to a report in Variety, the petition stated : "The arbitrator found that Spacey's conduct constituted a material breach of his acting and executive producing agreements with MRC, and that his breaches excused MRC's obligations to pay him any further compensation in connection with the show."
The arbitrator also found that "Spacey's egregious breaches of contract" made him and his companies liable for MRC's tens of millions of dollars of extra costs.
Mr Spacey and his production companies, M Profitt Productions and Trigger Street Productions, were ordered to pay damages, lawyers fees and court costs.
MRC said in a statement : "The safety of our employees, sets, and work environments is of paramount importance to MRC and why we set out to push for accountability."
Several other cases against the actor have unraveled, including a criminal case in Massachusetts alleging assault and battery against Spacey, who was accused of groping an 18-year-old man at a bar on the resort island of Nantucket in 2016.
The arbitration took place behind closed doors last year, but it only came to light on Monday after the production company MRC filed a petition with the Los Angeles Superior Court, seeking to confirm the award after it was upheld in a confidential appeal, reported Variety.
Following the eight-day arbitration in February 2020, the arbitrator found 'the allegations against Spacey to be true,' according to MRC's newly filed petition.
It was alleged that Spacey inappropriately touched a young male production assistant and created a 'toxic' environment on set.
he has denied all allegations of misconduct.
spacey filed a counterclaim, accusing mrc of wrongfully terminating his contract.
Spacey said in 2017 he did not remember climbing on top of Rapp but apologized if the allegations were true.
Spacey also used the statement to disclose he is gay.
Spacey was suspended from House of Cards in November 2017 following multiple accusations of sexual assault.
Public allegations of sexual misconduct started to be made against Mr Spacey in October 2017, when actor Anthony Rapp claimed sexual advances were made towards him when Mr Rapp was 14.
The masseur died in 2019 before his legal action reached court.
Stay up to date with our posts
Seamless Daily is an innovative news platform that is updated 24/7 to help you keep up to date with all the current events around the globe.
Our team of professional editors as well as our state-of-the-art artificial intelligence platforms ensure that our curation is accurate, fact-checked, and trustworthy.