John Barrowman says Doctor Who flashing claims were exaggerated but admits it was 'silly behaviour'
By SEAMLESS DAILY
23 November 2021
John Barrowman has said his "silly behaviour" on the set of Doctor Who has been exaggerated following allegations that he repeatedly exposed himself on set.
Speaking in his first TV interview since the claims arose earlier in 2021, the actor admitted he felt "extremely nervous" about addressing the situation and said his actions 15 years ago were something he would "never do" now.
After accusations of flashing during production of both shows, the 54-year-old said he had taken part in "tomfoolery" but denied it was ever intended or interpreted as sexual in nature.
on itv's lorraine on monday, barrowman said : "i think if it was now it would be crossing the line.
i think that something that happened 15 years ago, it was bawdy behaviour, silly behaviour.
"It was being done in the confines of the set and we were like a family working together.
"The fact that it was stories I 've already told, I 've been telling them for years, I haven't hidden anything, they 've been exaggerated and they 've tried to turn them into sexual harassment which it absolutely is not," he continued.
i haven ’ t hidden anything, they ’ ve been exaggerated, they ’ ve tried to turn them into sexual harassment which it absolutely is not.
"And the one thing for me, all the people that were making a fuss about it, they weren't there, they don't know the context of things that were done.
And speaking in an interview with Lorraine on Tuesday, John gave his side of the story as he candidly said : 'All the people that are making the fuss about it, they weren't there, they don ’ t know the context of things that were done. '
like i said, i would never do it now.
"But what we 're not allowing people and myself to do with the continued bashing in the press and everything that is going on just to sell the newspapers, we 're not allowing people to learn to adapt and to change- and that's the most important thing."
He appeared on the show as a contestant in 2006 and had been on the panel since 2019.
The actor, 54, issued an apology in May for exposing himself on Doctor Who set in historic incidents, with the star since dropped from the ITV skating show's judging panel.
i ’ ll still have fun, i ’ ll still be silly and outrageous but in a different context to what it was 15 years.
When asked if he feels he has 'changed' and 'adapted' from how he was in the past, John said :' f course I have.
"i want to move on and continue to move forward.
He said :' I'm extremely nervous, and that is not me.
When Lorraine asked how he was doing now, John admitted : "The fact of the matter is, I know that throughout my career and everything I 've done, it's been about promoting to people to be yourself, to not be ashamed of who you are, and at the moment, what's happening is I feel like I'm having to monitor everything.
"i 'll get past that.
it ’ s not going to happen again."
Earlier this year, the 54-year-old star apologised for "high-spirited behaviour and tomfoolery" after accusations he had exposed himself on the set of the BBC show where he played the role of Captain Jack Harkness.
At the beginning of the interview, host Lorraine Kelly asked him : "Do you think on reflection that you may have crossed a line ?"
John also addressed the fact that he will no longer be a judge on Dancing on Ice.
Stay up to date with our posts
Seamless Daily is an innovative news platform that is updated 24/7 to help you keep up to date with all the current events around the globe.
Our team of professional editors as well as our state-of-the-art artificial intelligence platforms ensure that our curation is accurate, fact-checked, and trustworthy.