Norway bow and arrow attacks: Several killed in Kongsberg before suspect 'in confrontation' with police
By SEAMLESS DAILY
14 October 2021
Police in Norway say they have charged a man after five people were shot dead and two others- including an off-duty police officer- were injured in a series of bow and arrow attacks.
The incidents took place in the town of Kongsberg, 51 miles ( 82km ) southwest of the capital, Oslo.
There was a confrontation with officers and the man tried to run away before he was arrested, the police chief said.
In a statement, police said the suspect was a 37-year-old Danish citizen who lives in Kongsberg.
No other details have been released.
As well as the five killed, two other people were wounded and are in intensive care, including an officer who was off duty and inside the shop where the attack took place, police said.
The attacks are related to a Coop Extra supermarket in the town centre and Coop spokesman Harald Kristiansen said : "We can confirm that there has been a serious incident in our store and that none of our employees are physically injured.
"We are now concerned with following up our employees, and beyond that, we refer to the police investigation."
Police were called to the incident, in the centre of Kongsberg, at 6.30pm on Wednesday with additional resources sent from other areas, including Oslo.
Police chief Oeyvind Aas told a news conference : "A man was apprehended at 6.47pm.
From the information we have at the moment, one person committed this act alone.
he hasn't been questioned yet so it's too early to come to any conclusion."
'' There is major police activity in the area because there are many crime scenes."
Chief Aas added : "It is natural to consider whether it is an act of terrorism.
the attacks took place over a "large area" of kongsberg, a municipality of around 28,000 people in southeastern norway, police said.
This is because the perpetrator has moved across a large area, and we are now working, among other things, to secure clues and gather as much information as possible about what has happened," said Chief Aas.
The injured people have been taken to hospital and Kongsberg council's crisis team is giving help to those who need it.
unni grondal, oslo police spokesperson : 'we are helping with national assistance resources such as police helicopters, bomb squads, and crews from the emergency response troop."
Norway's minister of justice and public security, Monica Maeland, has been informed and is closely monitoring the situation.
the suspect moved over a large area on the west side of the town had been cordoned off, with investigations now under way.
British ambassador to Norway, Richard Wood, wrote on Twitter : "Police confirming that five people have been killed in # Kongsberg and several injured including a policeman.
The incident has shaken us."
Sincere condolences to those affected."
Norwegian police- who normally do not carry guns- have been ordered to temporarily arm themselves.
The Norwegian police directorate said : "This is an additional contingency measure.
The police do not yet have any concrete indications that there is a change in the threat level in the country."
Acting Prime Minister Erna Solberg called the attack "gruesome" and said it was too early to speculate on the man's motive.
She added : "The perpetrator has carried out horrific acts against several people.
"i understand that many people are afraid, but it's important to emphasise that the police are now in control,' she said.
Local media reported the suspect opened fire from inside a Coop Extra supermarket in the town's west.
There was reportedly a confrontation between the attacker and the police before he was eventually detained at 18:47 local time.
One witness told local outlet TV2 she had heard a commotion and seen a woman taking cover, then a "man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in his hand", according to AFP news agency.
"Afterwards, I saw people running for their lives.
one of them was a woman holding a child by the hand," she added.
Officers are also investigating whether the attacker used other weapons during the incident, Chief Aas told reporters.
Residents were ordered to stay indoors so authorities could examine the scene and gather evidence.
The suspect has now been taken to a police station in the town of Drammen.
'There is no active search for other people,' Aas said.
This is a shocking event that we did not think could happen in Norway. '
'This is an extra precaution.
Stay up to date with our posts
Seamless Daily is an innovative news platform that is updated 24/7 to help you keep up to date with all the current events around the globe.
Our team of professional editors as well as our state-of-the-art artificial intelligence platforms ensure that our curation is accurate, fact-checked, and trustworthy.